Request a Free Consultation

Gloucester County Bus Accident Lawyer

Request a Free Consultation

Millions of people rely on public transportation every day, and many consider bus travel to be a preferable alternative to driving their own car. Unfortunately, bus accidents occur more and more each day and when a bus crashes, dozens of passengers could be injured or killed.

If you have been injured in a bus accident, a Gloucester County bus accident lawyer can help explain the federal regulations regarding passenger and driver safety and the potential compensation you could recover following your accident. Consult with a seasoned injury attorney to make sure you understand your rights.

Types of Bus Accidents in Gloucester County

Bus accidents are often a result of:

  • Hitting cars, trucks, and motorcycles
  • Failure to notice pedestrians and bicyclists
  • Colliding with road structures such as bridges and medians
  • Off-road incidents

Injury Laws for Collisions Involving Buses

If you are suffering from injury or loss due to a bus accident, those at fault may be required by law to pay medical expenses and other costs associated with the injury. Before making a claim, you should be certain that they have knowledgeable legal representation to guide them through the complicated laws surrounding accidents and injuries in Gloucester County.

Negligence is defined as the failure to act responsibly. When a person’s negligence causes injury, harm, or property damage to another, the party at fault is responsible for all damages. Under New Jersey Statute 2A:15-5.1, an injured plaintiff may not recover damages if the plaintiff’s own negligence is greater than that of the defendant. Additionally, a plaintiff’s recovery will be reduced according to the percentage of fault assigned to them.

For example, if a bus driver was injured because a car hit the bus head-on but the bus was on a road restricted to buses, the bus driver could be found 80 percent at fault for the accident. Since the bus driver is more at fault than the driver of the car, the bus driver cannot receive compensation for his injuries. However, if the bus driver was found 40 percent at fault, the remaining 60 percent of damages could be collected. For more information, you should get in contact with a Gloucester County bus accident lawyer today.

Identifying Defendants

When a bus is involved in an accident, it is often difficult to determine who is at fault. Potential defendants could be a fatigued or distracted bus driver, the driver of another vehicle on the road, or the bus company’s failure to abide by federal motor coach rules and regulations. Other parties at fault could be a negligent bus repair facility, or government organizations responsible for road maintenance. A Gloucester County bus accident lawyer has knowledge of specific factors involved in accidents and could help you determine any potential negligent parties involved.

Statute of Limitations

Most states have deadline requirements for filing a claim. Given the delays caused by trying to identify who to file a claim against, it is important to note that in New Jersey, the plaintiff has up to two years to file a claim for injuries caused by bus accidents, but this time can be shortened to 90 days if the bus is owned by a public entity.

Contact a Professional Gloucester County Bus Accident Attorney Today

A dedicated injury attorney could help protect your rights to your entitled compensation. Our attorneys could help you build evidence for your case and file the proper documents to work towards a favorable outcome. Do not settle for less than you deserve or leave yourself open to the difficulties and delays that New Jersey accident laws can create. Call a Gloucester County bus accident lawyer as soon as possible to begin building your case.