Request a Free Consultation

Cape May County Personal Injury Lawyer

Request a Free Consultation

When someone suffers injuries due to another person’s negligence or misconduct, the injured party may be able to hold that person accountable for damages. The primary way to do so is to initiate a personal injury lawsuit against the responsible party.

Whether you were injured in an automobile accident or due to a defective product or dangerous property condition, a Cape May County personal injury lawyer could help you hold negligent parties liable for the harm you suffered. A trustworthy attorney could work to understand the facts of your case, advise you on the potential claims you could assert against at-fault parties, and secure reasonable compensation to cover the associated losses. Call or visit our website today for a free consultation with one of our experienced personal injury attorneys.

Types of Personal Injury Claims in Cape May County

Most personal injury claims arise because a person or company acted negligently, resulting in injury to others. However, another common action that claimants in our area assert is strict liability claims. Depending on the particular facts of his or her case, a person might be able to make both negligence and strict liability claims against liable entities.

Negligence Claims

When bringing a negligence claim against an at-fault party, plaintiffs must be able to establish that the defendant failed to exercise reasonable care for others and that this failure resulted in physical or emotional harm. Although each claim is unique, some types of negligence actions are more common than others. These include:

Whether someone suffers injury or property damage after being involved in one of these scenarios or sustains losses in some other way, an accident attorney in Cape May County could work with him or her to initiate and prove his or her claims against at-fault parties.

Strict Liability Claims

In certain circumstances, a person could bring lawsuits against other people or companies that are responsible for a defective product. This type of lawsuit is called a strict liability claim.

To establish a strict liability claim in this context, a plaintiff only needs to prove that the product was defective when it was manufactured or sold and that the defect caused harm. Unlike negligence claims, those asserting strict liability claims do not need to prove that the manufacturer or distributor of the defective product acted negligently. A lawyer from our team could help someone assess whether they have a potential strict liability claim against a product manufacturer or distributor by reviewing the facts and evidence of his or her case.

Statute of Limitations for Personal Injury Cases

New Jersey law requires all personal injury claims to be filed before a specific deadline, regardless of whether it is based on negligence or strict liability. This deadline is called the statute of limitations.

Under state law, most civil claims must generally be filed within two years of the accident date. There are, however, some exceptions that might extend or shorten the deadline. If claimants do not file their claims with the appropriate court within this timeframe, the court will bar them from obtaining any compensation for their injuries. A Cape May County lawyer could help an individual file his or her personal injury case in compliance with the state’s statute of limitations.

If your injury case involved the death of a loved one, please don’t hesitate to reach out to our Cape May County wrongful death lawyers as soon as possible.

Speak with a Cape May County Personal Injury Attorney

When you are harmed in an accident that was not your fault, you do not have to bear the economic burden by yourself. If you have been harmed because of someone else’s negligence, you have the right to sue the at-fault parties for economic relief. A Cape May County personal injury attorney at our firm could help you determine what kind of claim you have and how much you could potentially recover in compensation. Contact us to speak with a member of our team who could advocate for you in court.