Traumatic Brain Injury FAQsRequest a Free Consultation
What is a traumatic brain injury?
A traumatic brain injury (TBI) is a type of injury to the brain that is caused by an external force, such as a blow to the head, a fall, or a car accident. TBIs can range from mild to severe and can cause a wide range of symptoms, including headaches, dizziness, memory loss, and changes in mood and behavior.
If your traumatic brain injury was caused by someone else in New Jersey, there are several steps you can including speaking to a Cherry Hill injury lawyer:
1. Seek Medical Attention: Seek medical attention as soon as possible after the injury. Even if you do not feel like you have been seriously injured, it is important to get checked out by a doctor to ensure that there are no hidden injuries.
2. Document the Incident: Collect and document as much information about the incident as possible. Take photos, obtain contact information for any witnesses, and write down any details that you can remember. Keep records of all medical bills, expenses related to your injury, and any other losses, like wages, you have suffered as a result of your injury.
3. Contact an Attorney: Contact a personal injury attorney in NJ who has experience with traumatic brain injury cases. An attorney can help you understand legal rights and options, and can guide you through the legal process.
4. File a Lawsuit: If the injury was caused by someone else’s negligence, you may be able to file a personal injury lawsuit against them. Your attorney can help you gather evidence and build a strong case.
5. Pursue Damages: If you win your case, you may be able to recover damages to compensate you for medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other expenses related to the injury.
6. Follow Medical Advice: Follow the advice of your medical providers to ensure that you receive appropriate treatment and care for your traumatic brain injury. Rehabilitation and other treatments may be necessary to help you recover and manage your symptoms.
What are the most common causes of traumatic brain injuries in New Jersey?
The most common causes of traumatic brain injuries in New Jersey are car accidents, falls, and sports-related injuries. Other causes can include workplace accidents, assaults, and explosions.
What are the symptoms of a traumatic brain injury?
Symptoms of a traumatic brain injury can include headaches, dizziness, memory loss, and changes in mood and behavior.
How is a traumatic brain injury diagnosed?
It is typically diagnosed through a physical exam, neurological exam, and imaging tests such as a CT scan or MRI.
What is the treatment for a traumatic brain injury?
The treatment will depend on the severity of the injury and can include medication, surgery, rehabilitation therapy, and counseling.
Can a traumatic brain injury cause long-term disability?
Yes, a traumatic brain injury can cause long-term disability especially if it affects the individual’s cognitive or physical abilities.
What legal options are available to someone who has suffered a traumatic brain injury?
Legal options can include filing a personal injury lawsuit to seek compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, and other damages related to the injury.
What damages can be recovered in a traumatic brain injury case?
Damages that can be recovered include medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and loss of earning capacity.
Can a person be held liable for someone else’s traumatic brain injury?
Yes, a person can be held liable if their negligent or intentional actions caused someone else’s traumatic brain injury. HOW?
Can a business or organization be held liable for a traumatic brain injury?
Yes, a business or organization can be held liable if their negligence or failure to provide a safe environment caused a traumatic brain injury.
Can insurance companies deny coverage for a traumatic brain injury?
Insurance companies cannot deny coverage for a traumatic brain injury (TBI) in NJ if the injury is covered under the terms of the policy. However, insurance companies may try to deny coverage or limit the amount of coverage based on the specifics of the policy and the circumstances of the injury.
For example, an insurance company may argue that the injury was not covered under the policy because it was caused by an excluded activity or that the injury was pre-existing. Additionally, the insurance company may try to limit the amount of coverage by arguing that the medical expensive are excessive or unnecessary.
If you are having trouble getting an insurance company to cover your traumatic brain injury, you should consult with an experienced personal injury attorney who can review your policy and advocate for your best interests. They can help you understand your legal rights and options for pursuing compensation and negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf.
What should I do if I suffer a traumatic brain injury?
If you suffer a traumatic brain injury, seek medical attention immediately and contact a personal injury attorney to discuss your legal options.
Can I file a personal injury lawsuit if my TBI was caused by a defective product?
Yes, if a defective product caused your traumatic brain injury, you may be able to file a product liability lawsuit against the manufacturer or seller.
When can I file a personal injury lawsuit for a TBI?
If you have suffered a traumatic brain injury due to someone else’s recklessness or negligence after being involved in a slip and fall, pedestrian accident, bicycle accident, motorcycle accident, car accident, dog bite, or while playing a sport, you may be able to file a personal injury lawsuit.
Can I file a personal injury lawsuit if my traumatic brain injury was caused by medical malpractice?
Yes, if your traumatic brain injury was caused by medical malpractice, you may be able to file a medical malpractice lawsuit against the negligent healthcare provider. Call a medical malpractice lawyer in Cherry Hill ASAP!
Can I file a personal injury lawsuit if my traumatic brain injury was caused by a workplace accident?
If your traumatic brain injury was caused by a workplace accident, you may be able to file a workers’ compensation claim, but you may not be able to file a personal injury lawsuit against your employer.
Can I file a personal injury lawsuit if my traumatic brain injury was caused by a criminal act?
If your traumatic injury was caused by a criminal act, you may be able to file a civil lawsuit against the person responsible for the act. Speak to a brain injury lawyer in Cherry Hill today.
What is the process for filing a personal injury lawsuit in New Jersey?
The process for filing a personal injury lawsuit in New Jersey involves filing a complaint with the court, serving the complaint on the defendant, and participating in discovery and pre-trial conferences.
What is discovery in a personal injury lawsuit?
Discovery is the process of gathering evidence, including documents and testimony from witnesses, to build the case for the trial.