September 21, 2023 – New York High School Band Bus AccidentRequest a Free Consultation
On Thursday, September 21, 2023, a charter bus crashed off I-84 in New York, rolling down a 50-foot ravine. The charter bus was one of six transporting Long Island high school band students to a camp in Pennsylvania. The accident resulted in the death of two adults on board and injured several students.
The accident was likely caused by a faulty front tire, as stated by New York Governor, Kathy Hochul, in a press conference. The investigation to determine the definite cause is still underway, and state troopers and federal investigators will be further investigating the charter bus company and the crashed vehicle’s past in the coming days.
If your family was affected by this crash, the South Jersey injury lawyers at Grungo Law extend their deepest condolences. As personal injury attorneys, we understand the lasting impact an accident like this can have on the lives of those involved and their families, and we would like to offer our help. Contact us to learn how we can help you start the civil claims process. Our experienced attorneys will fight for you to get the financial compensation you need to recover. Call us today to get started.
How Grungo Law Can Help Families
At Grungo Law, our accident attorneys in South Jersey understand how difficult the aftermath of a tragedy can be, and are here to help families when they are ready. Our attorneys can help you navigate the complexities of your claim by:
- Conducting a thorough investigation of the accident
- Gathering the necessary evidence and witness statements
- Building a strong case to support your claim
- Proving who is liable for the accident
- Having medical experts evaluate your injuries to ensure you receive the full compensation for all of your injuries
Our goal is to tailor our services to best fit your needs and help you get the compensation you deserve.
Common Bus Accident Injuries
Injuries caused to victims of bus accidents can be serious and may have temporary or permanent effects. If you sustain any of the following injuries in a bus accident, you may be eligible for compensation.
Common injuries caused by bus accidents include:
- Soft tissue injuries
- Spinal cord damage
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Neck and back injuries
- Wrongful death
- And more
Determining Liability In A Bus Accident Claim
Determining who is the at-fault party in a bus accident can be difficult, because there are many options, and often, more than one party can be at-fault. Possible liable parties include:
- The Bus Company – if the bus company fails to properly maintain their vehicles or train their drivers, they can be held responsible for the accident and resulting damages.
- The Bus Driver – if the bus driver fails to operate the vehicle in a safe manner and causes an accident, they can be held liable for the accident.
- A Third-Party – if a construction crew creates hazardous road conditions that cause a crash they may be held responsible. Similarly, if an important part of the bus malfunctions and causes the bus to crash, the vehicle manufacturing company may be held liable.
Once you have determined the responsible party, you must prove the following to establish their liability:
- The plaintiff (injured party) was owed a duty of care by the defendant (the responsible party)
- The defendant breached said duty of care by acting negligently
- The breach caused the accident
- The plaintiff suffered damages due to the accident
Damages Available To Bus Accident Victims
Victims of bus accidents can recover both economic and non-economic damages. Economic damages are actual financial losses caused by the accident such as lost wages, property damage, and medical bills. Non-economic damages are losses related to the damage to your quality of life, such as pain and suffering, loss of consortium, and mental or emotional anguish.
If there was a death involved, don’t hesitate to call a wrongful death attorney in South Jersey today.
When you are ready, call for a confidential consultation
At Grungo Law, we understand the impact a bus accident can have on you and your family. Our bus and truck accident lawyers in South Jersey are here to help you get the compensation you deserve. We are here to help you handle the legal side of things so that you can focus on your recovery. Contact us today to get started, call us at (856) 528-4494, or contact us online.