Request a Free Consultation

Cape May County Paralysis Injury Lawyer

Request a Free Consultation

If you or a loved one recently suffered any degree of paralysis because of another person’s negligent actions, you may be entitled to recover compensation for your family’s accident-related losses. While it is true that no amount of compensation can make up for a permanent loss of mobility, effective civil recovery may be key to ensuring you do not suffer financially due to an accident you did nothing to cause.

An experienced Cape May County paralysis injury lawyer could serve as a compassionate ally throughout the civil litigation process. With guidance from a catastrophic injury attorney who is familiar with past court verdicts and the needs of individuals hurt in similar incidents, you could have a much easier time pursuing the restitution you or your loved one need to live the most comfortable life possible after such a devastating accident.

How Can Negligence Cause Someone to Lose Mobility and/or Sensation?

While certain degenerative diseases can have paralyzing effects over time, most paralyzing injuries that stem from accidents borne of negligence involve traumatic damage to the brain, neck, spinal cord, and/or nervous system. The type and severity of paralysis an accident victim may suffer depends on where the injury occurred and the extent of the damage.

Injuries to the lower part of the spinal cord may result in paraplegia, which is characterized by paralysis in the limbs and extremities below the waist, while injuries closer to the neck and brain stem may cause quadriplegia, or paralysis from the shoulders, down. Additionally, an injury that involves only bruising or slight tearing of the spinal cord is considered incomplete and may resolve over time with rehabilitative therapy, whereas an impact that completely severs the spinal cord creates a complete injury with invariably permanent consequences.

Alternatively, certain types of traumatic brain damage and/or nerve damage can produce hemiplegia or monoplegia, which entail paralysis in one side of the body or in a single limb, respectively. A Cape May County attorney could help seek appropriate financial restitution for any type of paralysis, regardless of whether it is temporary or permanent.

Recovering Damages after Becoming Paralyzed

A comprehensive lawsuit or settlement demand based on a paralyzing accident must account for the full impact that paralysis will have on a plaintiff’s life. This means recovering for not only short-term losses, but also long-term losses that have yet to actually occur.

Furthermore, New Jersey Revised Statutes §2A:14-2 establishes a statutory filing deadline of two years for almost all personal injury claims regardless of how severe the injury in question is. This means paralysis victims have only two years after their accident to initiate the civil litigation process. With this deadline in mind, an experienced lawyer in Cape May County could help a paralysis injury victim and their family seek restitution for a variety of economic and non-economic damages, including:

  • Past and future medical expenses, including those associated with specialized medical equipment
  • Past and future loss of income
  • Rehabilitative care
  • Home and/or vehicle modification expenses
  • Costs of in-home assistance
  • Physical pain
  • Emotional and psychological anguish, including loss of enjoyment of life

Speak with a Cape May County Paralysis Injury Attorney

Because of the life-altering impact that paralyzing accidents typically have, seeking fair civil recovery for this kind of injury can be a uniquely challenging and complicated endeavor. Because of this, it is crucial to seek legal counsel from someone who understands how devastating paralysis can be and what options may be available after such a catastrophic incident.

Working with a Cape May County paralysis injury lawyer could make a substantial difference in the outcome of your civil claim and, consequently, how your life will proceed after an injury of this magnitude. Call today to discuss your potential case.